Thursday 5 January 2012

Erisin ES777A configuration and software

I've been fiddling around with the PAD part of the ES777A for a few days now and have the basic configuration pretty well in hand now, so I thought I'd give an update about the things I'll be using in it before I'll do a larger post about the installation and testing. Hopefully the unit will be operational in the car after this weekend, friday is a national holliday in Finland so I'll have a 3 day weekend to work on this!

Basics:
The first thing to do here is install the most crucial usability stuff. Here is the list of software / configurations that I believe make this unit far more usable than it is out of the box. There is also an explanation about each item and what they bring to the table.

GO Launcher Ex
This launcher provides much more customization options compared to the stock one. You can define the amount of screens, transitions between them, status bar options and much more. A free software and works extremely well with the landscape mode of the PAD. Free.


MultiPicture Live Wallpaper
One of the problems with using Android 2.3 on a tablet is that it is not designed for continuous landscape mode. This creates a few problems, one of which is that you cannot normally use a 800x480 pixel full screen wallpaper. The wallpaper you choose is stretched among the home screens and gets pixelated and ugly no matter what you do. This app removes that problem and lets you set a full resolution picture as the wallpaper and even select different images for each screen if you like. This is what I chose as my wallpaper:
Also a free app.


PowerAmp music player
There are a lot of options for a good music player for the android. I chose this one because of the really good 4x2/large widget player. This means I can have the player on one home screen with my normal wallpaper image and keep the look of the unit consistant. Free trial, full version 3,5€
I don't use this anymore, I switched over to Google Music. Free.


Adobe Flash player and Adobe reader
Basic usability stuff, nothing interesting here. Free.


RockPlayer Lite
Again, several options here such as MoboPlayer but I use this on my phone and like it because of its small size and good support for almost any video format. Free.


aDyno and aLaptimer
A pretty well featured performance monitor and logging software. Support for OBD2 data, GPS and accelerometer data. Can do lap profiles based on GPS data, performance runs to test modifications and a lot more. Free trial, 3,38€ for the full version.


ClockWork Auto Logger
A companion to the previous. Mainly for data logging and real time G-force measurement.


Better Keyboard
Like the name says. A better keyboard with the Finnish keyboard layout (lots of layouts available) and size adjustable so it makes the typing a lot easier when using the unit in the car. 2,5€.


Barcode Scanner
For QR code scanning. Makes software installing and other web related things simpler.


Spotify
I use spotify on my home computer and have the 9€ per month premium subscription which allows for offline caching of tracks. This means I can create playlists on the computer and then make them available on the PAD offline to allow listening in the car without an Internet connection. Free.


EDIT:
Forgot this important bit:
DSP Manager
A global DSP manager that controls the sound output of all programs. Pretty handy to have around and eliminates at least some need for an external equalizer for the car. Several others with more and better customization available, but this one is from Google themselves and free. Installs with no rooting neccessary to the ES777A, just download the APK and install.


Google Car Home
Google's official car home screen app. Big icons and a clean look. Free, needs root.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for this post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this post...I use DSP Manager all the time now since it's something that finally lets me adjust the sound when using my Samsung Epic in it's media dock. I had been using VooDoo Sound to control the headphone jack, but the dock uses the MicroUSB port somehow to convert the sound, but VooDoo had no control over the MicroUSB...thank you, now I have an alternative!

    I personally use LauncherPro 0.8.3 on my phone, so I'll be using the same on my 777A. You said you use Flash, so have you tried installing video viewing apps like Crackle, YouTube, Hulu+ (I found a hacked version on www.xda-developers that allows it to work on my phone) or Netflix?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't used any video software on the pad except for testing that it works. I only use the pad as the front panel of the unit and as a performance tool (torque etc). I also used to use launcherpro on my phone an tried it with this pad too. From my experience it's not the fastest thing on the planet which is why I switched over to google car home and removed most of the startip proframs for maximum speed.

      Delete
  3. when you use google maps/navigation does it allow you to input destination with voice as well as keyboard or just keyboard only? Is there something extra that has to be installed for this to work? I love my 777. It works wonderfully. Thank you for such a great walkthrough!!!

    ReplyDelete