Tuesday 3 January 2012

Minor starting issues...

Today I got up to go to work after a Christmas / New Year vacation. I had previously driven the Porsche about a week ago. All seemed cool (pun intended, it was cold) at first but when I started it I heard the depressing sound of the engine NOT turning over. All the other electrical stuff was working - inside lights, radio, heater blower - but not enough power for the starter motor.

So I browsed around my service history folder a little bit and did not see any receipts for a new battery from the last decade or so, which lead me to suspect that it might just be the battery that has gone and not anything more serious.

After a remote work day at the home "office" I got a ride to the car parts shop and got a new battery.

I chose the Sznajder over the Bosch since it had more capacity (80Ah) and better cold starting power (700A). I would have gotten a 100Ah but they were all too large in size to fit the Porsche's battery compartment.

After installing the new battery the car started fine and I noticed that the starter motor also turned the engine over much more "healthily" than before, when it was really lazy.
I think the reason for the battery dying might be that I drive really small distances, so that the time that the alternator gets to recharge the battery compared to the amount of cold starts is too low. Maybe I'll invest in a trickle charger that I'll mount permanently under the bonnet.

No comments:

Post a Comment